SparTalk
EDUCATION CATALOG RIGGING CONSULTATION HOME CONTACT US

Go Back   SparTalk > SparTalk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 AM

Default The Falls of Clyde

Hello everybody,
I regret being so inactive on the board lately, but have been flat-out on a major project: sending down the rig on the four-masted, full-rigged ship "Falls of Clyde", in Honolulu. It is exciting work, and it is a privilege to be aboard one of the finest square-riggers on Earth, but boy is it exhausting.
So far we've sent down all the yards on the jigger and mizzen masts. We move on to the main tomorrow. I am hoping that things will smooth out, and that I'll be able to be more present here soon. Christian will be posting photo's on the site in the near future. Until later then,
Fair leads,
Brion Toss
Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Brian Duff

What good fun Brion - we're green with envy here on the bay. Seems our big ships here all use regular crew for that sort of work.

Looking forward to the photos.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Brian Duff

The photo gallery is phenomenal. I am impressed by all the heavy gear you guys own, or were you renting that stuff, or bought for the job? I love the strap-on (winch!)

Whats next for the Clyde ? are they building new spars to rig for sailing or what ?

neat job !
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Default Gear

Hi Brian,
We either owned the gear, or bought it for the job. That winch is a Hobbs Lowering Device, designed for arborists. It has been a fabulous, hardworking tool.
As for the ship's future, it appears to be extremely short; we were hired for the downrig because major pieces were starting to fall out of the sky, and the hull was in even worse shape. So we are endeavoring to give the dear vessel a solid and respectful last downrig. As of today, after 3 weeks here, there are only 3 topmasts and some standing rigging left to send down. Already on deck are the jibboom, 4 t'gallant masts,14 yards, and thousands of feet of standing rigging. Also a huge pile of blocks, shackles, etc. We calculate that we have lowered about 40 tons of wood and metal so far. This is a large ship.
Fair leads,
Brion Toss